Learning how to use a knife sharpener is a basic technique that both easy and important to learn, especially if you are a cook at your house. A dull knives will do you no good in helping you cutting vegetables. In fact, it can be more dangerous than a sharp knife. A dull knife needs more pressure to produce results, and if you are cutting something slippery, your hands are in a great danger of being cut. Having a high quality knife sharpener at home can be a great convenient and very useful kitchen utensil. The sharpening process using the knife sharpener varies, depend on what kind of sharpener you use (be it manual or electric sharpener). Both of them has different technique in use, but they are fairly simple for both types.
Let’s take a look at the simple guide in using both manual and electric sharpener below.
Manual Knife Sharpener
There are many types of manual knife sharpeners. The sharpener materials are made of different materials, there are ceramic, steel, or diamond coated disks. They have different slots and forms as well. Each slot in manual knife sharpener should have two disks coat with steel, ceramic, or diamond. These disks are what we need to use to sharpen the knife. Common manual knife sharpeners have the sharpening slot only, but now, there are some which have two or three slots. The slots are labeled according to the coarseness. Below are common technique on how to use a knife sharpener in the manual knife sharpeners:
- Insert the edge of the knife into the coarsest slots on the manual sharpener. Make sure that you position the knife in a straight cutting line. Try to keep the base as close to the disks as possible.
- Pull the knife through the slot using light pressure in a horizontal motion. You need to draw the knife through the disks from its base to the tip.
- Come back to the starting position in the same slot. Lightly draw the knife through the sharpening disks again in the same motion.
- Repeat the process with the fine slot or the next slots. Do the process above again. Move from the coarsest to the finest slots.
- Rinse and dry the knife when the process finishes to remove any shaving residual.
You need to remember not to pull the knife back and forth through the slots since that will only damage the knife.
Electric Knife Sharpener
- The first step of how to use a knife sharpener is to turn on the electric knife sharpener.
- Just like the manual one, electric sharpener also has slots from coarse to fine. Start from the coarsest slot.
- Put the knife in between the slot and slowly pull the knife back through the slot till it reach the tip for about two to three times.
- Repeat the process with the remaining slot in the same process. Remember to start from the coarsest to the finest slots.
- Rinse and dry the knife. That is how to use a knife sharpener.